Tuesday 5 February 2013

Hoopoe

After several kerb-crawling visits to Hamworthy searching for the Hoopoe in vain, I finally caught up with it this morning. I did say to myself yesterday that I wouldn't try again as it's not a particularly fun experience driving/walking around a housing estate with bins and a camera as understandably some residents feel as though you are up to no good!

As this morning was probably my last chance for a while, as we are due to get the keys to our new house today, then I thought I'd nip down there for an hour or so after dropping the children off at school. The past couple of days the bird has been in front gardens along Freshwater Drive, somewhere I have checked on numerous occasions, so I initially drove around here a couple of times with the usual outcome. I then thought I would change tack and walk around the road as it might not actually look quite so bad as slowly driving around but was prepared for the confrontations which may ensue. I parked in Carisbrooke Crescent and started to walk down to Freshwater Drive, as I neared the junction of the two there it was on the pavement across the road. As I lifted my camera it took flight and landed on the roof of 48 Freshwater Drive where I managed to get a couple of shots before it flew off to the small green. It alighted in a silver birch so I thought I'd nip back and jump in the van to use it as a hide so as not to flush the bird. Another birder present stayed with the bird but predictably it had flown off over some houses towards the play area and we couldn't relocate it.

Happy that I had seen it and got some photos, although not the ones I really wanted, I thought I'd head home especially as it started to snow and the light for photography completely went.

The estate agent has just called to say the keys are ready - today is a good day!


Hoopoe

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you are enjoying it down there mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor old Hoopoe looks a bit under the weather Mate :-) Nice find for February though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Chaps, things are certainly all going well at the moment and I'm looking forward to cracking on with lots of work in the new house and then creating a decent garden for wildlife. Hope all is well with your good selves.

    The Hoopoe seems to be surviving quite well even if it looks a bit bedraggled, every lawn should have one as they're great at digging out leatherjackets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog Marcus, good to see you blogging.

    ReplyDelete